Are you thinking about deleting a Facebook group that you created? Are you an admin of a Facebook group that has been inactive for long or isn’t needed anymore (such as a group made for a contest which has concluded). In case you are looking to delete a Facebook group, this post has got you covered. We will tell you about how to close/deactivate your Facebook group by archiving it. We will also talk about how you can remove everyone from your Facebook group and delete it. Let’s get started:
Deleting a Facebook Group: All You Need to Know
What’s the Difference Between Archiving and Deleting a Facebook Group?
These two terms are not synonymous/interchangeable. Let’s find out the differences between the two.
Archiving a group
Archiving a Facebook group closes it off to any further discussions. The group will appear to be deactivated or frozen once it’s archived, but the admin can unarchive it at any time.
Once a group has been archived, members can still visit the group, but they won’t be able to post, comment, or upload photos or videos. Members can only view what was published in the group before it was archived.
Only existing members of an archived group will be able to access it, that means new members won’t be allowed to join. The archived group also won’t show up in Facebook search results.
Group admins won’t be able to edit the archived group’s details, such as the description or photo, but they’ll still be able to delete posts and remove or block users from the group.
If an admin decides to unarchive an archived group, the group is immediately restored to how it was before archiving and all members can start posting on it.
How to Close/Archive a Facebook Group
You can only archive a Facebook group from Facebook.com in a web browser. You can’t do it from the iOS or Android apps. It is a lot easier to do than deleting a Facebook Group altogether.
- On Facebook.com, select Groups under the Explore section in the left column.
- Select the name of your group under Groups You Manage.
- Select More directly beneath the group header photo.
- Select Archive Group from the dropdown list.
- Select Confirm to archive it.
Deleting a group
Deleting a Facebook group is permanent. Once it’s done, you can’t undo it. It’s also important to note that as long as the original creator of the group is still a member, only he/she has the power to permanently delete the group. However, if the creator has left the group, any of the group’s admins can delete it.
How to Delete a Facebook Group
A Facebook group doesn’t have a button which is explicitly labeled “delete”. However, there is another way to permanently delete groups. To delete a Facebook group, you will need to remove every member of the group manually and then exit the group yourself. Here’s what you need to do:
- Navigate to the group you want to delete. On Facebook.com, select Groups, then select the name of your group under the Groups You Manage section on the left. On the Facebook app, tap the menu icon in the main menu at the bottom for iOS or the top for Android, tap Groups, then tap the group under Groups You Manage.
- On Facebook.com, select Members from the vertical menu on the left. On the app, tap the collection of member profile pictures at the top.
- On Facebook.com, select the three dots next to each member’s name and select Remove from Group.
- On the app, tap each member’s name, then tap Remove member. Under Remove Member, select what options you wish to delete, then select Confirm.
- Repeat step three above for every individual group member until you’re the only one left.
- On Facebook.com, your profile picture and name should be the only one left, listed at the top under Admins and Moderators. Select the three dots > Leave Group. On the app, tap Admins at the top of the Membership tab where your only remaining member listing should be. Tap your name > Leave Group.
- With no members, admins or creator left in the group, the group is automatically deleted.
So that was how you can delete a Facebook group or archive it for a temporary suspension of group activity. Whenever you delete a Facebook group, make sure that you think thoroughly as this action can’t be undone.